Repair and welding

Minor engine repairs and welding of ship in the dock and harbor must be done after obtaining permission and observing the following:

] The shipping representative must receive the request letter for minor ship repairs (engine or welding) along with the completed Immobilization Form from the captain and submit it to the head of Maritime Affairs in order to allow the start of minor ship repairs in the port.

] According to the port situation, the head of Maritime Affairs must investigate the situation and either approve or disapprove the minor repairs of the ship.

] In the case of approval of hot working operations or minor repairs of the ship engine in the port, the shipping representative must perform the following steps:

Minor repair to the ship engine: The Immobilization Form approved by the head of Maritime Affairs is given to the captain and then minor repairs to the ship engine are started. A copy certified by the captain must be delivered to the marine services unit.

Welding (hot work): The head of Maritime Affairs must refer the related request to the marine safety, protection and firefighting of the port in order to examine the safety requirements for welding.

Note: According to Clauses 4-9 of Part III of Chapter 4 "Vessel traffic administrative instructions," minor repairs and welding in the dock and inner harbor can be done in 

compliance with the following:

A)     Minor repairs must be done in a way that vessels with a gross capacity of less than 500 tons can move up to 4 hours, and ships with a capacity of 500 tons can move up to 3 hours after the port notification with their driving force.

B)     "Engine overhaul is forbidden."

C)     The welding of ship hull and other components in the dock is allowed if firefighters are present with the required equipment.

How to hire service vessels and the related rates

Notice of departure

The departure notice form includes information about the ship. An example can be seen in the left column.

-          The shipping representative must submit the said form via fax or e-mail, and it should contain the outgoing vessel features and the approximate finish time of loading and unloading to the control Secretariat.

Control Secretariat fax number: 2566458 (phone number for follow-up and receiving confirmation: 2566448)

Maritime Affairs email:

-          The said form is registered in the comprehensive marine system by the Control Secretariat and is sent to the financial unit, control and inspection of center ships, port affairs and ISPS for obtaining approvals.

-          After receiving the approvals in the comprehensive marine system, the shipping representative should refer to the marine services unit with the required documents to get the shifting permission.

Documents required for the shifting permission:

1.      Shifting permission of the previous port

2.      List of the ship crew on the fall form

3.      Cargo manifest (input and output) based on the fall form

4.      shifting permission of customs

5.      A copy of the ship specs

6.      A copy of class certification

7.      A copy the ship registration certificate

8.      Extended towage license for the barge and tug is required in order to ensure the safety of towage operations by the tug and barge on the canal and sea.

Note: The shifting permit is valid within 5 days from the date of issue.

] After completing the ship passing operations, the shipping representative should submit the issued shifting permit to the ship captain.

] Once the ship representative declares readiness to undock and the dock operations office declares the end of loading and unloading operations, the expert responsible for marine operations must inform the port traffic control.

] The port control must make arrangements with the expert in charge of pilotage to send a pilot and with the expert in charge of marine operations for the pilot boat, mooring boat and sailors.

] The vessel undocking and departure is done by the port pilot. The sent pilot must disembark at the harbor and be transferred to the shore by the pilot boat.

] Maximum 24 hours after the vessel departure from the port, its bill is issued by the marine services unit and sent to the financial unit.